School Uniform & PE Kit
School uniform plays a valuable role in contributing to the ethos of the school and sets an appropriate tone. It instils pride, supports positive behaviour and discipline and encourages identity with the school. Uniform can also be useful to protect children from social pressures to dress in a particular way.
Longbenton High School has some simple conduct expectations on personal presentation. All students are expected to follow these expectations consistently and without question when on the school site:
- The school blazer is to be worn at all times unless otherwise directed by staff. Students may ask to take their blazer off if they are hot in lessons, but they must leave lessons with their blazer on.
- Shirt tucked in and tie on.
- We encourage wearing suitable coats during cold periods. These can be worn between lessons but should be removed when in the classroom.
- A suitable school bag large enough to carry exercise books and equipment.
It is school policy that all students must wear school uniform in Years 7 to 11. Please ensure you follow the school uniform guidelines below:
- School Blazer with Badge
- (Optional - Plain black V neck jumper)
- Plain white shirt with collar
- Black trousers or black skirt, underwear should not be visible
- Black or white socks or black tights
- Black shoes, this can include all black trainers with no white markings or logos, low heeled black shoes and flat black ankle boots
- Striped clip on tie, this will be matched to the students house
We do not allow:
- Black jeans, combat trousers or leggings
- Grey trousers
- Polo neck shirts, tee-shirts and shirts with a sports type collar (shirts must be able to accept a tie)
- Shirts of any colour, other than white
- Black shoes with obvious coloured or white markings, soles or logos
- Brown or any other coloured shoes
- Boots (higher than the normal shoe/ankle)
- Baseball caps
- Denim, corduroy, brushed cotton or other standard materials for skirts and trousers
- Jewellery, which includes more than one pair of stud earrings, finger rings, bracelets and necklaces, are not to be worn in Years 7 and 8
- Any piercings other than one pair of stud earrings (including expanders)
- Excessive amounts of make-up.
- Long Acrylic painted nails (in the interest of safety and hygiene)
- False eyelashes
- Extreme hair styles – e.g. hair which is cut particularly short or dyed an unnatural colour.
A watch may be worn but the school will not take any responsibility for the safety of any watches or other jewellery that is worn.
The following Sports and Physical Education Kit is required.
Compulsory items to be purchased:
- Black and blue polo shirt with school badge
- Black and blue shorts, tracksuit bottoms or running leggings
- Training shoes
- Football boots (recommended if involved in football)
Optional items available to purchase:
- Black and blue hooded top with school badge
- Black and blue splash top
- Black baselayer top
- Black and blue socks
Any tracksuits worn must be black.
Extremes of fashion relating to any item of clothing, hairstyle or appearance will not be permitted
- Hair colouring is only allowed if it appears natural
- No patterns or tramlines should be shaved into the hair or eyebrows
- Hair should not be shaved below a grade 1
- No undercuts
- Any facial piercings to be removed
Senior staff will be the sole arbiters of any decisions made.
Students without correct uniform will be lent the required items by the school. They are expected to comply with this and return the items at the end of the school day. Students refusing to borrow the required clothing may not be permitted in lessons and parents will be contacted. In exceptional circumstances, with written communication from home, a student may be permitted to attend lessons with the agreement of their Year Leader, and on the understanding that uniform will be corrected within a set timeframe.
Uniform will be constantly monitored; any additions to unacceptable wear/fashion trends will be updated on the school website.
Blazers and ties should be purchased from:
North Tyneside Industrial Estate,
Tel: 0191 2701449
Opening Times: Monday – Friday 08:00 – 17:00
Alternatively you can purchase directly from their website at www.emblematic.co.uk.