Supporting your child's reading during our school closure
One of the best things that you can encourage your child to do over the coming weeks is to read. Reading not only develops vocabulary, knowledge and communication skills, but it also offers an escape into another world.
We are a National Literacy Trust partner/pathfinder school and have worked closely with them over the past 12 months to train our staff and develop our curriculum to close the vocabulary gap. Their website is a great place to start if you would like support reading with your child while they are at home during the Covid-19 school closure. The Family Zone here https://literacytrust.org.uk/family-zone/9-12/ applies to our Year 7 and 8 readers. There are some great apps and website recommendations all on one page.
There is a great blog here (April 2020) explaining how to keep your child's reading going during school closure. There are tips here for building a reading den, helping engage reluctant readers, links to audiobooks and themed recommended book lists.
Accelerated Reader can still continue at home here: https://readon.myon.co.uk/ for all of our Year 7 and 8 readers.
North Tyneside Libraries are obviously closed, but they buy into a service called BorrowBox meaning that all NT Library members can download up to 8 e-books or audio books. Follow these simple steps:
- If you are already registered with the North Tyneside Library Service and have a Pin then go to step 8
- Click on the following link: https://my.northtyneside.gov.uk/category/1009/join-library
- Click Join Online and complete the registration form
- Make a note of your Barcode
- Check your emails and click on the link to confirm registration
- Enter a pin number that you will remember
- Download the BorrowBox App or search BorrowBox online
- Search North Tyneside in the app/BorrowBox website
- Enter your North Tyneside Library barcode and pin
We are currently building this page so please come back for updates soon!